Finding legit ways to make money as a stay at home mom isn’t easy. Trust me when I say I’ve them ALL.
So if you want to learn how to make extra money as a stay at home mom, then you’ve come to the right place!
When my husband suddenly lost his job, our ONLY income source, we almost lost everything. That’s why the BEST thing you can do for your family is to look for ways to make more money right now.
Learning how to make more money can help you get caught up on monthly bills, stop living paycheck to paycheck, pay off your debt, or even save up for big purchases. So whether you have an extra hour or 10 hours a week, today you’ll learn how you can make extra money online, creating a side business, selling your stuff, and more!
- 12 Stay At Home Mom Bloggers That Make $1,000+ A Month
- Use Ebates for Free Cash Back + Get A FREE $10 Gift Card
- How To Make Easy Money Taking Paid Online Surveys
- 30 Things To Sell For Quick Cash
Make Money Online
Making money online is my favorite and most flexible way moms can make extra money because you can work wherever, whenever you’d like–even while your kids are napping! Just be careful to avoid the many scams out there when you’re looking for opportunities.
- Start a successful blog – Starting a blog is not as difficult as you think. You don’t have to be super techy either! I know many stay home moms that earn enough income from their blog to support their whole family. So I created a simple tutorial that shows you the easiest way to start a blog for cheap, starting at only $3.95 per month! (Plus you’ll get a FREE website domain—a $15 value!)
- Become a virtual assistant – Small business owners need help managing social media accounts, answering emails, scheduling appointments, and more. So if you’re detailed-oriented and great at meeting deadlines, a business will pay you to complete these virtual tasks.
- Answer surveys – Top survey companies I recommend are Harris Poll Online, Pinecone Research, Survey Junkie, Swagbucks, InboxDollars, SurveyClub, One Opinion, and Earning Station. You get paid to share your opinion or test out products! These survey companies are free to use and join, so it doesn’t hurt to sign up for as many as you can. Find out how to easily make $100+ this month.
- Become a freelance writer – You can write content for blogs, websites, magazines, and more. My favorite place to find freelance writing gigs is Upwork.com.
- Create a course and teach others – Online courses are extremely popular right now. Websites like Udemy make it super easy to get started and will get your course in front of a large market.
- Tutor – You can teach English to Chinese kids online and earn $14-$22 an hour with VIPKid. Set your own hours, lesson plans are provided for you, and they need more tutors! You can learn about VIPKid here.
- Become an editor – If you have a fancy English Degree (or you’re just obsessed with grammar!), this can be a great way to make money in your spare time. You can edit content for websites, blogs, books, news articles, courses, podcasts, and more.
- Test websites – Companies like UserTesting will pay you to visit websites and apps and give your feedback in a short video. Earn $10 per test you complete!
- Use Swagbucks for online searches – Swagbucks allows me to earn Amazon gift cards for doing online searches like Google. But you can also earn points for watching online videos, playing games, shopping, and taking surveys. Your points can be redeemed for cash, gift cards and more! Sign up through my link to get FREE $5 bonus!
- Post on social media – If you have a lot of followers on your social media accounts, you can earn extra cash when you share products or companies you love using affiliate links, ads, and sponsored shoutouts! Contact your favorite brands to find out if they have an influencer/affiliate program you can join.
- Earn cash back for shopping online – Whether you spend $200 or $2,000 per month online, get up to 40% cash back at thousands of stores when you shop online through Ebates. It’s free to use and free to join. Plus, when you sign up through my link you’ll get a FREE $10 gift card!
- Become a transcriptionist – Get paid to turn audio or video files into text! Some companies worth checking out are Tigerfish and TranscribeMe.
Side Hustles that Make Money
Creating a successful side business can help you earn enough money to replace your old income–or quit your day job if you want to become a stay at home mom! Set your own hours, work from a home office (or not!), and be your own boss. Here are some ideas for moms that want to become mompreneurs:
- Turn your car into a taxi – You can drive for Uber or Lyft in your spare time and make a lot of money on Friday nights and weekends. Another option is to deliver food with Uber Eats or Postmates if chauffeuring people isn’t your thing.
- Start a home daycare – Babysit your friend’s kids while they are at work or need a date night! You can also promote your services on websites like Care.com and earn $10+ per hour.
- Flip items – From homes to cars, antique furniture, and art–you can make a living finding hidden gems that other people might consider trash, and turn it into cash!
- Pet Sit – Pet parents always need sitters, especially whenever they need to leave out for a trip. So this is a great side business to start if you’re an animal lover.
- Walk dogs – Don’t want other peoples pets to take over your home? You can offer dog-walking services instead, around your neighborhood.
- Become a party planner – Planning parties, celebrations, and events can be extremely stressful. But if this is something you enjoy, you can get paid to plan other people’s weddings, birthday parties, family reunions, and many more!
- Bake desserts – You can make $200 per month selling baked goodies to your family, friends, and around your neighboorhood. Share your delicious treats on your social media and watch order requests begin to pour in!
- Sell on Etsy – If you’re creative or crafty, Etsy is the perfect place to sell handmade goods like crochet items (scarves, infant shoes, totes, etc), printables, custom t-shirts, invitations, artwork, and more online.
- Start a clothing line – I once owned a t-shirt business that I promoted on Instagram and sold on Shopify. You won’t have to spend any money on inventory with companies like Printful, which will make your t-shirt when you receive an order and deliver it to your customer for you!
- Clean homes – Cleaning is something people dread, but if you have a knack for cleaning and organizing, there are plenty of people that’ll pay you to give them a hand! And you can charge up to $20/hr in some areas to get their house (or single room) in order!
- Become a photographer – Seriously. Photography is a skill you can learn fast! Get a good DSLR camera (this is the exact one I have!), watch Youtube photography videos, and start practicing on your kids! Before you know it, you’ll be confident enough to charge people (and make decent money!) for your services.
- Tutor kids in school – Offer private tutoring lessons to parents with children struggling with a subject in school. You can tutor kids in the evenings a few times a week and charge $25+ per hour.
- Join a multi-level marketing company – Yes, I know MLM and direct sales companies often get a bad rap. I was a representative for two companies before that I loved and made some money, but it certainly didn’t make me rich. Here’s my advice if you’re thinking about joining an MLM company: 1) make sure you love the product and use it yourself, and 2) do your research to make sure the company is legitimate before you pay a dime.
- Rent your home – Turning your house into a vacation home is easy when you become a host with Airbnb. Or, if you decide to rent out only a guest bedroom and bathroom you can do that too! Depending on where you live, you can earn up to $1,000 per month.
- Rent your car – Just like renting your house, you can rent out your car by letting someone else drive it when you’re not! Turo is a great car rental service that’ll cover your vehicle with liability insurance and more.
- Rent your storage space – If people often ask you to store their stuff in your garage or basement, then you should start charging monthly storage fees!
- Deliver groceries – With Shipt, you can earn up to $22/hr to shop and deliver groceries to clients!
- Run errands for others – Get paid to pick up food, laundry, shop for groceries, and more for people that are home-bound or just super busy.
- Start recycling – You can get paid cash for collecting empty bottles, cans, and scrap metal when you recycle them! Visit Earth911.com to find a recycling center in your area.
- Teach a class – Teach others how to cook a meal, dance, learn yoga, and more. You can host classes at your local recreation centers, church, or in your home.
- Wash cars – This is a fun side hustle that can make you great money on the weekends. Plus, you can get your kids and entire family involved!
- Help people move – Offer services that help overwhelmed residents. You can charge $25+/hr to pack, organize, and deliver moving boxes.
- House sit – You can house sit for neighbors that are on vacation or expecting a package delivery.
- Maintain yards – Curb appeal is everything, but I hate doing yard work. So if this is something you enjoy, people (like me!) will actually pay you to maintain their yard, garden, or landscape.
- Train pets – do you know how to potty train puppies? If people call you a dog whisperer, you can get paid for your natural talent!
- Groom pets – Pet owners want their fur babies to look great. So if you know how to groom pets, this could be a lucrative side hustle.
- Paint homes – If you love interior decorating, people will pay you to help bring their vision to life. You can market your services to new homeowners in your area and share your work on social media to attract new clients.
Sell Your Stuff to Make Money
Selling your stuff is the fastest way you can make extra money. I can’t tell you how many times I thought someone wouldn’t buy this or that, and they did!!
- Sell on eBay – Collectible items, shoes, jewelry, authentic handbags, and electronics sell extremely well on eBay. You create an account and list your items for free, but eBay will collect a fee for any items that sell.
- Sell to secondhand stores – This is my favorite way to earn cash. I like to go through my kids’ closets and sell their old clothes they can’t fit anymore and any toys they don’t play with to thrift stores and kids resale store like Once Upon A Child.
- Sell on Craigslist – Craigslist is a great place to sell used appliances, furniture, cars, kids clothes by the lot, and more! Just be careful of scammers and always have someone with you whenever you’re selling your stuff.
- Sell your breast milk – Breast milk can sell for $1-$2.50 per ounce online, sometimes more. So let’s say you sold 25 ounces of breast milk per day at $2.50 each, then you’d make almost $23,000 a year! Not bad.
- Sell your books – Turn those books you don’t read anymore into extra cash! It could be an encyclopedia, novel, textbook, dictionary, or any other type of book you can sell to resale bookstores, Half.com, and on eBay.
- Sell your old phones and electronics – I’m sure you have a few old electronics like tablets, cell phones, TVs, computers, and laptops you’re not using. Websites like Gazelle makes it easy to trade-in your old smartphones and devices for cash!
- Sell your gift cards – Don’t let gift cards sit in your wallet and go to waste. Cardpool will give you up to 92% cash for gift cards you don’t want (even if it has a weird balance remaining)!
- Sell your CDs, DVDs, & Games – Since everything is being streamed online these days, it doesn’t make sense to let this stuff sit around in boxes collecting dust. Decluttr will buy your old music, movies, and video games outright from you!
Get A Part-Time Job
When I quit my job to become a stay at home mom, I had no intention of going back to work a 9-to-5. But when we fell on hard times and I needed the money, I decided to get a part-time job. And you know what? It wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be! Here are some ideas worth giving a try:
- Work a seasonal job – Many companies love to hire seasonal workers during the holidays. This is exactly what I did to earn extra money to afford all those gifts!
- Substitute teach – If you have a teaching or educational background, you can get a part-time job as a teacher in a grade school or at a local college.
- Work at a retail store – Working at a retail store can be quite fun. Plus, you’ll enjoy the great discounts you’ll get! Some retail stores don’t require previous customer service experience, so it’s very easy to land a job.
- Work at a hotel, motel, or resort – The hospitality industry offers a lot of opportunities. You can work in housekeeping, guest services, or in a restaurant.
More Ways to Make Money As A Stay At Home Mom
Below are some of my most favorite ways to uncover hidden sources for extra cash!
- Upload your receipts in the Ibotta App – Get free cash back on groceries and more when you upload your receipts inside the app! The average user can earn $20/month – that’s FREE money! Ibotta is free to use and free to join. Plus, when you sign up through my link, you get a $10 bonus!
- Enter contests and giveaways – There’s no guarantee you’ll win anything. But the more contests you enter, your chances of winning will increase! You may win cash, gift cards, vacations, electronics, food, and more!
- Try InboxDollars – With InboxDollars, I earn cash for taking surveys, reading emails, and watching videos in my spare time. It’s free to use, free to join, and you get a FREE $5 bonus when you sign up through my link!
- Use rewards from your credit card – If you use your credit card a lot, you’ll probably have a ton of reward points. Most credit card companies allow you to redeem points for cash, gift cards, and travel purchases. Just don’t forget to pay off your balance at the end of the month. 😉
- Return your past purchases – If you’re not going to wear it or use it, then you better get your money back!
- Ask for price adjustments – Ever made a purchase and find out it went on sale a week later? You’re not the only one. Thankfully, stores like Walmart, Macy’s, and JCPenney honor price adjustments–meaning they will refund you the difference if an item goes on sale within 30-90 days of your purchase date!
What are some ways you’re making extra money? Share your best tips with us below.
SHARE THIS WITH YOUR FRIENDS 🙂